Archive for category Libraries
Examples of Records from Online Web Services
Ancestry Library Edition
- Available: UD Library, New Castle County public libraries (see database list), and Delaware Public Archives
- Note: best results using Internet Explorer browser
Image from Ancestry Library Edition. War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812-1815.
Ancestry Library Edition
Image from Ancestry Library Edition. U.S. Census. 1930.
Heritage Quest Online
- Not available at the UD Library
- Available: New Castle County public libraries (see database list), the Kent and Sussex public libraries (see the Delaware Library Catalog: Heritage Quest), and the Delaware Public Archives.
War Claims from the Serial Set
House Report no. 1282, 52nd Congress, 1st Session, 1892: Sarah and Florence Coleman. PDF from Heritage Quest Online. U.S. Serial Set collection.
I was able to locate the complete Compiled Military Service Record (CMSR) for William Colley, 28 pages. To obtain records of this type, you need to subscribe to Footnote.com
Welcome to the Showcase on Genealogy Research: Genealogy resources available at the University of Delaware Library (Hugh M. Morris Library), other libraries, and the Internet.
- Free websites
- Subscription web services (databases)
- Pay per document
UD Library Subscription Databases
If you are not currently affiliated with UD or the Academy of Lifelong Learning, you may use the database if you come to the Library.
If you are currently affiliated with UD or the Academy of Lifelong Learning and accessing the database from off-campus, you will need to enter your UDelNet ID and password.
- Reprinted in books
- Copied on microfilm
- Digitized for databases
- Available in archives, courthouses, etc.
The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy. Rev. ed. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry Publishing Company, 1997.
Morris Library – Reference (Ref CS49 .S65 1997)
- Delaware Genealogical Research Guide. 3rd ed. Wilmington, DE: Delaware Genealogical Society, 2002.
Morris Library – Reference (Ref F163 .D349 2002)
Morris Library – Special Collections (Del F163 .D349 2002)
- The most important guide for doing genealogical research in Delaware. It covers specific types of records and where they can be found in the state. Edited by Thomas P. Doherty and published by the Delaware Genealogical Society (http://delgensoc.org).
Genealogy for the First Time: Research Your Family History. New York: Sterling Pub. Co., multiple editions: 2003-2007.
Not available at UD Library)
Description on Amazon.com
- Germans to America: Lists of Passengers Arriving at U.S. Ports, 1850-1897. 67 vols. Edited by Ira A. Glazier and P. William Filby. Wilmington, DE: Scholarly Resources, 1988-2001.
Morris Library (E184 .G3 G38 1988 v. 1-67)
- Compendium of arriving German passengers. Arranged by port and date. Each volume has a name index (only for that volume). The original ship passenger lists may contain additional information.
Finding in Libraries
Catalogs of individual libraries
- Delaware Public Libraries
- Search for Public Libraries: Public Library Locator
- Libraries on the Web: USA Academic Libraries
WorldCat — catalog of multiple libraries
- UD Library’s WorldCat Local: searchbox on Library home page
- Cooperative arrangement among libraries
- You can request an item not available at your library
Genealogy Web Services
- Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) The “Learning Center” has free resources
- Ancestry Library Edition
Available: UD Library, New Castle County public libraries (see database list: http://www2.nccde.org/libraries/Databases/Default.aspx), and Delaware Public Archives
Note: best results using Internet Explorer browser
- Ancestry Library Edition is distributed by the ProQuest company
- From the UD Library home page (http://www.lib.udel.edu/), select “Databases”
- HeritageQuest Online (see description: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/catalogs/databases/detail/heritagequest.shtml)
- Owned and distributed by the ProQuest company
- See opening page (http://www.heritagequestonline.com/hqoweb/library/do/index)
- Available: New Castle County public libraries (see database list: http://www2.nccde.org/libraries/Databases/Default.aspx)
- Not available: UD Library
- Produces many online databases (many full text): business, news, Historical Newspapers
- Added U.S. Congressional publications (full text) to HeritageQuest Online
NewsBank / Readex
- Produces many newspaper databases: current, historical, obituaries
- Produces databases of books, pamphlets, government documents
- GenealogyBank (description: http://www.newsbank.com/genealogists/product.cfm?product=220) / GenealogyBank.com (http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/)
- Footnote (Footnote.com) (http://www.footnote.com/)
- Digitized sources
- Partnership with the (U.S.) National Archives (http://www.archives.gov/)
- Both free and subscription resources
- Subscriptions available to individuals
- Can post your own pictures, discoveries, and comments
The Library home page can be reached by using either of these URLs:
Subject Guides is an option under the top banner; select that.
Genealogy is on the Subject Guides list.
There is a page called Genealogical Research in the University of Delaware Library which has some useful information about the library.
There is a link called Research Guides for Genealogy; select that. This is a list of typical genealogy resources and information about finding that type of resource here at the University of Delaware Library (Morris Library).