Many pension lists and indexes to pension application records have been published on microfilm or on the Web.
Ancestry Library Edition has several indexes and lists and many digitized original records. See Military Records in Ancestry
Index of Revolutionary War Pension Applications in the National Archives. By National Genealogical Society, United States National Archives and Records Service, and United States Veterans Administration. Washington: National Genealogical Society, 1976.
- Not at University of Delaware Library
- Note: UD Library has 2 books extracted from this file:
- Index to Delawareans in the Index of Revolutionary War Pension Applications and
- Marylanders in the Index of Revolutionary War Pension Applications.
- See Delaware Military Records
- Ancestry Library Edition: Go to Search> Military> Revolutionary War Pensioner Census
Index to War of 1812 Pension Application Files. M313
- National Archives
- Ancestry Library Edition: Go to Search> Military> War of 1812 Pension Application Files
Index cards for Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Applications.
Civil War Pension Index Cards.
Indexes pension applications of veterans who served in the U.S. Army between 1861-1917.
General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934. T288
- National Archives
Organization Index to Pension Files of Veterans Who Served Between 1861 and 1900. T289 (National Archives microfilm)
- National Archives
- Internet: Footnote.com $
Index cards giving pension application and certificate numbers. Card are arranged by state, then by units within regiments.
Pension Rolls or Lists
The Pension Lists of 1792-1795: With Other Revolutionary War Pension Records. By Murtie June Clark. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1991.
Morris Library E255 .P38x 1991
Transcriptions of the 1792-1795 Congressional reports.
Report from the Secretary of War, in Obedience to Resolutions of the Senate of the 5th and 30th of June, 1834, and the 3d of March, 1835, in Relation to the Pension Establishment of the United States. Washington: Printed by Duff Green, 1835-. 3 volumes. (23d Congress, 1st session. Senate. Doc. No. 514). Alternate Title: Pension Roll of 1835.
- Morris Library – Serial Set vols. 249–251
- Serial vol. 249, v. 1. New England
- Serial vol. 250, v. 2. Middle states and Virginia
- Serial vol. 251, v. 3. Southern and western states and District of Columbia
- Ancestry Library Edition. Go to Search> Military, browse to name of state. Available: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services, with their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshals of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. By United States Census Office and Norman Ross Publishing. New York, N.Y.: N. Ross Pub., 1990.
- Morris Library – Census Area – 1840 Census (vol. 4)
- Transcription (http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/colonial/census/1840/)
- Searchable images (http://www.evendon.net/PGHLookups/Census1840M.htm)
- Ancestry Library Edition. Go to Search> Military> Revolutionary War Pensioner Census
List of Pensioners on the Roll, 1883, giving the name of each pensioner, the cause for which pensioned, the post-office address, the rate of pension per month, and the date of original allowance, as called for by Senate resolution of December 8, 1882. Serial Set Collection, serial vol. numbers 2078-2082 (5 volumes). Senate Executive document 84 (vols 1-5). 47th Congress, 2nd Session. Alternate Title: Name of Pensioners on Roll.
- Morris Library – Serial Set volumes 2078 to 2082
- Google Books
- Serial vol. 2078, vol. 1: New England, New Jersey, and D.C. (Senate Exec. Doc 84/1)
- Serial vol. 2079, vol. 2: New York and Pennsylvania (Senate Exec. Doc 84/2)
- Serial vol. 2080, vol. 3: Ohio, Illinois, and Iowa (Senate Exec. Doc 84/3)
- Serial vol. 2081, vol. 4: Northwestern and Western States and Territories (Senate Exec. Doc 84/4)
- Serial vol. 2082, vol. 5: Middle Atlantic, Gulf, and Central States and foreign countries (Senate Exec. Doc 84/4)
Reprint of 1835 Pension Roll:
The Pension Roll of 1835. Reprinted with a new index. 4 vols. Baltimore, Md: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1992. See the description on WorldCat.org
Revolutionary War Pension Lists (US GenWeb)
Pensions | Portal: United States Military Records (Research Wiki from Family Search)
“Pensions.” In Reference Information Papers. Washington, DC: National Archives.
Finding Complete Records
Original records (up to 1916) are at the National Archives. Only Revolutionary War records have been microfilmed.